Five Percent Giving
In 2016 we decided to dedicate 5% of the cafe's retail sales of our products (bread, bagels, pretzels & granola) to a different cause or organization chosen by our worker-owners every month. Our goal is to both financially support and draw attention to work we believe in.
In May we will be supporting NuDay Syria's Babies and Milk Project. NuDay aims to alleviate the humanitarian crisis ongoing in Syria, focusing their efforts on aiding displaced women and girls, whose needs are often overlooked. NuDay works to bring housing and food to families displaced by conflict in addition to facilitating educational and micro-financial opportunities.
NuDay Syria has a number of ongoing projects - including those focused on orphan outreach to women breadwinners. We chose to donate specifically to the Babies and Milk project which focuses on providing mothers with diapers and formula for their infants and young children.
We welcome suggestions for future contributions! If you'd like to suggest one, please email us. Here's where we've donated in the past:
- Homeless Alliance of WNY (December 2016)
- EMILY's List (January 2017)
- WEDI (February 2017)
- Hot Bread Kitchen (March 2017)
- Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper (April 2017)
- Family Promise of WNY (May 2017)
- No Labels Clothing Co-op (June 2017)
- Clean Air Coalition of WNY (July 2017)
- Fruit Belt Community First Alliance (August 2017)
- Squeaky Wheel (September 2017)
- Buffalo Community Cooperative Fund (October 2017)
- The Foundry (November 2017)
- Innocence Project (December 2017)
- Homeboy Industries (January 2018)
- Higher Heights (February 2018)
- Everytown (March 2018)
- Barrel + Brine Indiegogo Campaign (April 2018)
- NuDay Syria - Babies and Milk Project (May 2018)
- LGBT Books to Prisoners (June 2018)